Communications Team Homepage
Amateur (radio + rocketry) = PSAS Communications Team! Welcome to the official page of the PSAS Communications Team. We use amateur radio (as defined by the FCC) on high powered rockets. For more information on getting your amateur license, see LicensingInformation.
Team Mailing List: psas-avionics (click to subscribe or read archives)
Above, ground control to tower WiFi antennas, circularly polarized patch antennas for the rocket, and high-gain directional antenna for ATV and ARRL 802.11b communications to the rocket in flight.
CURRENT STATUS: Our communications systems and version 3 linearly polarized 1.3, 1.5, and 2.4 GHz cylindrical patch antennas were a stunning success for the launch of LV2 on August 20th, 2005. But the loss of LV2 due to a failed gun powder charge put us back several years since we're "refactoring" our airframe and avionics. But now, we're ramping back up and rebuilding our communications systems for LV2c.
Current Project: Launch Vehicle No. 2.3 (LV2.3)!
Current Antenna Design
- CPA v4 tuning
- CPA v4 design
- TrackMaster 2500 - the old TrackMaster with nicer antennas, video capture, etc.
- TrackMaster 3000 (aka Rocket Tracks)
Current Communication Hardware
- C Band (5.8 GHz) telemetry system
- D-Link DWA-160 USB to 802.11abgn adapter
- RF Linx 5800CAE 5.8GHz Bi-Directional Amplifier 5 GHz power amplifier
- S Band (2.4 GHz) 2.4 GHz amateur television system
- Boostervision BV-M1W-CCD 1 W 2.4GHz TX/RX Kit
- Pre-amp TBD - GPS Creations?
- Hemisphere GPS board
Current To-Do and To-Get Lists (shared with the Avionics Team):
Past Project: Launch Vehicle No. 2 - Launched 2005-08-22
LV2 RF equipment:
- WiFi (ARRL 802.11b telemetry): 2.412 GHz +/- 15 MHz
- GPS: 1.57542 GHz +/- 5 MHz
- 1.575 GHz Preamp
- ATV (Amateur TV downlink): 1.25325 GHz +/- 15 MHz
- 146.43 MHz (2m) uplink radio receiver
- LV2 on-board antenna discussion, which includes cylindrical patch antennas (CPAs)
- LV2 2m uplink antenna
- 2.422 GHz helical antennas
- Pacific Monolithic's 2.4 GHz parabolic dish antenna ("BBQ grill") launch tower to launch control antennas
- 1.253 GHz helical antennas
- 146 MHz (2m) transmit TurnstileAntenna
Ground RF Equipment:
- 2.422 GHz ARRL 802.11b telemetry
- 1.253 GHz Amateur TV (ATV) downlink
- 1.2 GHz ATV preamp
- 1.253 GHz ATV receiver
- 146 MHz (2m) amateur radio transmitter
Ground to ground Communications:
- Local FM VHF amateur radio
- Internet email using WinLink 2000 over HF
Past Project: Launch Vehicle No. 1b (LV1b) - Launched 2000-10-07
LV1b Communications Systems:
- 900MHz 19.2kbps telemetry downlink
- 426 MHz ATV transmitter
- MoCom 2m 50W radios
Past Project: Launch Vehicle No. 1 (LV1) - Launched 1999-4-11
- For now, please see LV1b
Past Project: Launch Vehicle No. 0 (LV0) - Launched 1998-06-07
300 bps radio modem on ATV
426 MHz ATV transmitter
History, Notes, Etc.
To add a new entry, please use the date of the entry (YYYY-MM-DD) and
then add a
[[meta title="YYYY-MM-DD - Title here!"]] line to give it
a title. Include a line like
[[tag comm]] to get it listed here.
|2003/09/21||Blew up rocket; decided not to launch avionics.|
|2003/09/20||Built v2 CPAs in desert of Nevada, at night, in the cold, with no sleep.|
|2003/09/16||Steve makes "TrackMaster 2000" for the helical antennas.|
|2003/09/15||v2 CPAs artwork run by Circuit Images and made into reality by Parks PCB.|
|2003-09-11||JITCPAs: Just In Time Cylindrical Patch Antennas. v2 CPA's designed using Excel spreadshet which calculates CPA dimensions and generates EAGLE CAD commands.|
|PeFoamTapeEr||In a brilliant insight, we jump to double-sticky polyethylene foam tape from expanded polyurethane foam. Here are the calculated Er values.|
|2003-08-16||Here's a mock up test of the CPA using 0.005" PCB and 0.01" Copper and EPU.|
|1997 - 2003||See the Avionics and the , and Projects for more info on past Communications Team activities.|